English 103 and 104 are 1-credit electives (S/NC grading) intended to help any student in a first-year composition course (English 101, 102, 118, 131, 132, 198, 290, or 298). Students work one-to-one with tutors and independently to improve their writing.
- Enroll in English 103 and English 101, 131, or 198 at the same time; or enroll in English 104 and English 102, 118, 132, 290, or 298 at the same time.
- Attend regularly: 1 hour per week in the Writing Center, HSS 212, at a time of your choosing.
- Meet with a tutor regularly during the semester (during your regular attendance hour).
- Complete 2 informal reflections about your writing.
- Receive a passing grade in your first-year composition course.
There’s no cost to take the course if you’re enrolled in 18 or fewer credit hours. Enroll via MyUTK and then check Canvas for instructions on how to get started with the course.
Call (865) 974-2611 or email the Writing Center at email@example.com if you have questions.
For additional information about UTK’s first-year composition program, see the First-Year Composition page.
UTK received the “Writing Program Certificate of Excellence” national award from the Conference on College Composition and Communication. Watch the video for more information about our Writing Program.