Graduate Student Writing Help
The Judith Anderson Herbert Writing Center offers graduate students one-to-one meetings with writing consultants who offer constructive feedback designed to help with writing processes and written work-in-progress. We help graduate students with coursework-related writing, theses and dissertations, and application materials.
See our “Graduate Student Appointments” page for information about how to make appointments.
- The appointment scheduler is available at UTK.MyWCOnline.com
Resources for Multilingual Writers
Graduate students whose first or strongest language is not English are encouraged to use our ESL Writing Help schedule, which is staffed by tutors with special expertise in this area. The appointment scheduler is available at UTK.MyWCOnline.com.
For our more information and additional resources, see our Resources for Multilingual Writers.
Application Materials Help
We offer appointments for writers who are preparing application materials, including personal statements, graduate school applications, cover letters, CVs, diversity statements, and more. To make an appointment for Applications Materials Help, visit our free appointment scheduler.
Check out, too, our page of Application Help Resources.
Requests for Editing
While do not provide editing, proofreading, or formatting assistance as part of our free service, we maintain a list of local, qualified freelancers who provide these services for a fee, and we can put you in touch with one of them upon request. All fees are negotiated directly between you and the editor; we are simply a go-between to put you in touch with someone. Use this Request for Freelance Editing to make your request, and email it to email@example.com.
Other Campus Resources
For help with other questions, check out these UT resources:
- The Graduate School’s Theses & Dissertations page offers a collection of guidelines and information for writers, including links to formatting help.
- The Graduate School’s page on Using iThenticate helps writers check for potential plagiarism before submitting their manuscript for approval.
- With the help of OIT, the Graduate School also offers formatting templates for thesis/dissertation writers using MS Word.
- The University Libraries offers resources and support for graduate student research and teaching.
- The Counseling Center provides a range of resources to all UT students, including appointment-based services and online materials.
- The Center for Career Development and Academic Exploration provides assistance for graduate students writing job application materials.
- Teaching and Learning Innovation offers numerous resources to support graduate student teaching. See especially the Teaching Resources page and the Certificate Programs page.