The Judith Anderson Herbert Writing Center serves student writers in all disciplines of the UT academic community by offering free and individualized help throughout the writing process. Trained tutors read student writing and provide feedback in one-to-one conversations and/or offer constructive feedback via email. Our goal is teach students how to think about and improve their written work from the brainstorming stage to final revisions.
Effective March 23, 2020 and until the end of the Spring 2020 semester, all students can get real-time (synchronous) online writing help during our usual open hours.
Students may choose between video-based appointments to talk one-to-one with a tutor, or email-based appointments to get responses to specific questions about all or part of a draft within 30 minutes.
Which type of service is best for you? Click here for some guidance.
All services are offered through our free tutoring portal at https://utk.mywconline.com. (Select your schedule carefully, since some services are for specific groups of students only.)
See these instructions for how to make and attend appointments: Making Online Appointment at the Herbert Writing Center. Appointments are in Eastern time except where indicated.
- Video-Based General Writing Help: For undergraduate students in any subject and any course. Talk one-to-one with a tutor about a draft or any other writing-related questions. Appointment hours vary. 30-minute appointment slots.
- Email-Based General Writing Help: For undergraduate students in any subject and any course. Responses to your specific questions about a complete or partial draft. Provide details about the assignment, what questions you have, and upload a document in advance of the appointment start time, and you’ll receive feedback within 30 minutes. Available Monday-Thursday 9:00-6:30 and Friday 9:00-3:00.
- ESL Writing Center: Video-based appointments for undergraduate and graduate students whose first or strongest language is not English. Talk one-to-one with a tutor about a draft or any other writing-related questions. Appointment hours vary. Up to 80 minutes per student per week, in 20-minute appointment slots.
- Application Materials Help: Video-based appointments to talk one-to-one with a tutor about a personal statement, resumé, application letter, etc. Appointment hours vary. Up to 60 minutes per student per week, in 30-minute appointment slots.
- Graduate Student Writing Help: Video-based appointments for graduate students in any subject or who are working on a thesis or dissertation. Talk one-to-one with a tutor about a draft or any other writing-related questions. Appointment hours vary. Up to 60 minutes per student per week, in 30-minute appointment slots.
Online tutoring on this scale is new for us; please contact us if you have any questions or issues: firstname.lastname@example.org