We asked students about how getting feedback during the process of working on a paper helped them. Watch what they had to say.
The Judith Anderson Herbert Writing Center serves student writers in all disciplines of the UT academic community by offering free and individualized help throughout the writing process. Trained tutors read student writing and provide feedback in one-to-one conversations. Our goal is to help students think about and improve their written work from the brainstorming stage to final revisions.
Currently, all writing assistance is offered via real-time online appointments through our free tutoring portal, https://utk.mywconline.com. See these instructions for making and attending online appointments.
The following services are available in Fall 2020. The hours vary for each schedule; all times listed are in Eastern time:
- Undergraduate Video-Based Writing Help
- For any UT undergraduate in any course, any subject. Recommended for most writing situations.
- Undergraduate Email-Based Writing Help (limited availability)
- Recommended for requesting feedback on a completed draft or specific section of a document. Must attach document in advance of appointment start time; feedback is sent within about 30 minutes.
Wondering whether to make a video-based or email-based appointment? These guidelines will help you decide.
- Graduate Student Writing Help
- For any UT graduate student in any course, any subject, or who is working on a thesis or dissertation.
- ESL Writing Center
- For any UT undergraduate or graduate student whose first or strongest language is not English; help for any course, any subject.
- Application Materials Help
- For undergraduate or graduate students working on a personal statement or any other type of application document.
Students registered with Student Disability Services may contact email@example.com to request additional tutoring time if they have reached the weekly limit for a particular service.
Instructors: Information to share with your students is available here.
Every year we give out three awards for excellence in tutoring. Please see this page for the winners of the 2019-20 awards.
Please contact us with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org